Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Black Bean and Salsa Sloppy Joes

Tried a little something different last night in the Miller household. We took part in a Meatless Monday!!! I was skimming through a Parenting magazine one evening and saw this a recipe for Black Bean and Salsa Sloppy Joes. The photo looked so delicious and it seemed so easy to make so of course I tore out the recipe and put it in my "to make pile" of recipes.

Now normally this recipe would have gotten lost in the shuffle or would have never made the next test, which is Chris approving of the meal selection. Don't get him wrong, he will eat almost anything I make and he doesn't actually dictate the meals in our house, but it is nice to have him make the meal selections from time to time to keep the guessing work out of my realm.

So, this past weekend I gave him a stack of new recipes that I have been wanting to try and told him to pick one. He actually picked the Vegetarian option. I was shocked, but excited at the same time!!! It looked so good and I was excited to break out and make something we normally wouldn't make. Needless to say, since I am posting about it, he loved it and so did I.


Serves 4: In a skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium heat. Add 3 minced garlic gloves and saute for 1 minute. Stir in 2 1/2 cups rinsed and drained canned black beans, one 15 oz jar chunky salsa, 1 tbsp each brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Spoon onto whole-wheat buns and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment